One Point Lesson: Commonly Confused Words
Talk or Speak?
Basically, there is not much difference between the usage of speak and talk. We can use them in different situations.
On the other hand, their usage has something to do with FORMALITY.
Please remember that Talk is less formal than speak. In fact, talk is the usual word to refer to informal communication. For example;
- She wants to talk to you.
- I think Sasaki san should talk to his wife.
- She stopped talking to me when we had an argument.
- I would like to talk to you about the our plan for summer vacation.
- Stop talking nonsense.
Speak is often used for exchanges in more serious or formal situations especially in business.
- The president would like to speak with you today regarding your proposal.
- May I speak with you for a moment?
- I’d like to speak with the manager about this issue.